Saturday, February 9, 2008

Firefly novel released

Steven Brust is a favourite author of mine.

Firefly, the television show created by Joss Whedon is a favourite of mine.

What to do when two favourites comes together? Rejoice, silly.

My Own Kind of Freedom is a fanfic novel written by Brust and set in the Firefly universe. Brust has released the novel under a Creative Commons license, which makes it free to download and share, as long as it's done so free from commercial purposes.

So I'm sharing. Download My Own Kind of Freedom.

I haven't read it, yet. Wanted to make sure I was spreading the word, first. But I've read many Brust books, and have no qualms in recommending Freedom before having read it myself.

For those of you not familiar with Brust, he's the author of a bunch of books, but notably the series of fantasy novels about Vlad Taltos, assassin and gourmet cook. Brust has a delightful sense of humour and a flare for witty dialogue, but is able to convey these things even while being deep and serious.

He's actually the perfect writer to novelize Firefly because the tone that Whedon created for that television show - funny and melancholy at the same time - is something Brust has been doing in his books all along.

Off you go, then. Download, read, and come back and let me know what you think. I'll post my own thoughts after I've had time to read it myself, which will probably be in July. Something to look forward to.

No comments: